New To Yoga?
Whether you are new to Yoga or new to our studios, we believe you deserve the best possible yoga experience available. Read this power-packed guide at your leisure, it will help your motivation skyrocket and equip you with plenty of great tips to get the most from your practice.
Some basic facts to help you feel confident
All of our teachers hold at least a 200 hour teacher training certificate. You can be sure you are receiving a safe and well informed session EVERY time you come into our studio.
We offer all levels and temperatures of classes. Whether mildly heated, warm or hot, the heat allows for greater flexibility, it minimizes muscle strain, lactic acid build up, reduces the chance of injury, allows for greater cleansing of the body and builds tremendous stamina and endurance.
Our heated rooms are mirrored to allow for greater body awareness and to refine and deepen our postures with easy self-correction.
+ The Hot Asana Yoga Environment
- We believe in a positive, supportive environment. We want you to have an amazing experience every time you walk through our doors.
- You will be encouraged to maximize the alignment in your postures; coached to reap the rewards of good deep breathing; coaxed to find ‘new places’ in your practice.
- This is done extremely positively – no ‘drills’, shouting, no “No, no, no that’s wrong”. (Yes, sounds ridiculous, but there are yoga instructors who do this …. we don’t.)
- We want our studio to be a sanctuary for you. A place that you cannot wait to come to. A place where you can be “You”.
We have a cozy seating area with wireless internet available, and complimentary towels for your use.
+ Before coming to class
- Take all of the pressure off of yourself by having no expectations other than enjoying the decision you have made to come to class.
- Brand new students will gain the most by arriving a few minutes early to sign our waiver, ask questions, read this information and relaxing before class begins.
- You can always sign up for classes online or on the FREE Hot Asana App and even enter your own personal information online before coming to the studio. Choose your location and visit the Schedule tab to register for a class.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water before (and after class).
- It is best to minimize eating before class to light meals about 2-3 hours before yoga.
If you are attending a morning class and you feel you need to eat, having a light breakfast – perhaps just non-citrus fruit – might help you. Heavy cereal or a full fried breakfast just does not mix well with yoga.
+ If you'd like to know what to bring...
- Your own yoga mat.
- Yoga mats are available for rental or purchase at the studio. The mats we have are made especially for yoga – and not too thick, so balance is more firm – but not so thin they are uncomfortable on the floor!
- We have towels designed to fit your mat for purchase at our studios, and many of our studios also rent these towels.
- Face towels are complimentary at the studio and are recommended to wipe your brow with during class.
- A water bottle / sports bottle. If you would prefer, you can buy water at the studio.
- Women: wear what you feel comfortable in. Some women wear gym gear, yoga clothes or even shorts and a tee-shirt. We have a fully stocked fitness boutique and can provide you with any gear you may need.
- Men: workout pants or shorts are fine. Some men prefer to wear shirts, others do not. We have a fully stocked fitness boutique and can provide you with any gear you may need.
+ If you think you cannot do something...
- If you are too tired or just need to take a break, take a break. No big deal. It can take a few classes to acclimate to the heat.
- Just breathe calmly. The nervous system responds to our breath. Breathing through the nose helps keep the nervous system calm.
- Feel free to stop and rest or lie down on your mat anytime.
- This is a yoga class, not a competition!
Everyone’s ability in each posture will be different. You are guaranteed to reap the benefits of yoga by doing the best you can in each posture; respond to the instructions, concentrate on alignment and work to your level.
+ Immediately after class
Stay in the yoga room for the final relaxation pose (savasana) to warm down and allow your breathing and heart rate to return to normal. This helps to integrate all the great work you have completed in the last 60, 75 or 90 mins. Don’t worry, the teacher will let you know when class is officially over.
You will be given a cool lavender cloth at the end of each hot class. You can place this on your head, face or neck to cool off. These towels are infused with lavender essential oil. If you have any allergies to lavender, feel free to just leave the cloth on the floor. You can also use these cloths after class to wipe down your yoga mat.
We have changing rooms and bathrooms for your convenience as well as a comfortable seating area. Please take your time leaving after class, we LOVE to have clients hang around and visit after class. We have a library of yoga books and a comfortable space in which to enjoy them.
We always have time for students to cool down after class. Time to mingle, pick up tips, meet new yogi friends – or just enjoy the rush of endorphins through your body!
+ The next day, few days
Reactions the next day are varied. You may feel sore, you may feel stiff, either way, getting back into the yoga room with the heat and more stretching is the cure. Never forget the value of good hydration.
It’s best to attend at least three classes your first week – this will help you acclimate more quickly to the heated room and to the practice.
You will also begin noticing the benefits IMMEDIATELY – the perspiration releases toxins from your body and the fresh oxygenated blood that you create will begin to heal and restore your muscles, joints and organs.
- Friends and family start to notice that ‘yoga glow’ in your skin – without you saying a thing!
- And remember – this is your journey, no one else’s – and if this is your first class, the postures may seem strange, and the heat may feel unbearable. Stick with it.
Namaste, Virginia Gallagher and the entire team at Hot Asana Yoga Studio & Boutique